Monday, September 12, 2011

Nana and Esme

A week or two ago my mother came up to stay with Esme and I for a week.  As you can tell by the video this was pre-haircut.  One night while she was here I came home to find this scene.  It struck me for a couple of reasons.  One, I find it very meaningful when Esme bonds with the people that I love.  It means that she loves them and in return she is getting some of the same love that I receive from those individuals.

Two, when your child interacts with your parents it is hard not to see a glimpse of your own childhood, the part that you can't remember but can now see replayed in person.  It is kind of like a little time machine that takes you back to your own youth.

And three, I am the youngest in my family.  My mother was 40 years old when she had me and because of this I have grown up with the worry that my children wouldn't know her the way that I knew her.  I was worried that she would be gone before they could have an interaction such as this one.  Of course Esme probably won't remember this little story time moment when she is 30 but she will be able to watch it and she will always know that her Nana loves her.


No comments:

Post a Comment